Ask your MP to support the #HomesNotHospitals Early Day Motion
On 26th June, a group of people with learning disabilities, autistic people and their families met with MPs in Westminster to explain why and how people can live in homes not hospitals. Hosting MP Helen Hayes has written Early Day Motion (EDM) #2533, which we hope will get sufficient cross-parliamentary support to result in government action.
Significantly, the EDM calls for the government to urgently invest in community provision to replace inpatient units and to publish a detailed plan for the completion of NHS England’s Transforming Care programme.
You can read the Full #HomesNotHospitals EDM here:[LINK]
We need as many signatories as possible, so please take a few minutes to ask your local MP to sign up. If you want you can follow the three easy steps below.
1. Use this text for a template email:
Dear [Insert MPs name]
PLEASE SIGN UP TO THE #HOMES NOT HOSPITALS EDM #2533
I am writing to you as your constituent, to ask you to sign up to the Early Day Motion #2533, following the #HomesNotHospitals MP drop-in in Westminster on 26th June.
TRANSFORMING CARE’S DEVASTATING FAILURE
Eight years after BBC Panorama’s Winterbourne View documentary, Panorama again exposed the ongoing abuse of children, young people and adults with learning disability and autism living in inpatient care. NHS England’s Transforming Care Programme was meant to end these human rights abuses, by closing these inpatient institutions in favour of homes in the community. However, Transforming Care has failed, as 2,245 people with learning disabilities and autistic people remain in inpatient units.
On 26th June, people and families with lived experience met with MPs in Parliament to discuss the devastating impact of this wrong model of care. At this #HomesNotHospitals MP drop-in, people with learning disabilities, autistic people and their families showed MPs that, with the right support, in the right place, at the right time, people can and do live safe and happy lives in the community with their human rights respected.
YOU CAN HELP TO END THESE HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES
The #HomesNotHospitals EDM puts forward that ‘This house:
- recognises the inadequacy of in-patient settings for autistic people and people with learning disabilities;
- condemns the appalling abuse that was uncovered at Whorlton Hall Hospital by BBC Panorama;
- notes with concern that this took place eight years after a similar scandal at Winterbourne View;
- further notes the failure of the Government's Transforming Care programme which has left 2,245 people with learning disabilities and autistic people still living in in-patient units and has seen the number of children in in-patient units double since 2015;
- supports the calls of autistic people, people with learning disabilities, parents, carers and voluntary sector organisations for homes not hospitals; and
- calls on the Government urgently to invest in fully regulated, high quality community provision to replace in-patient settings for autistic people and people with learning disability and publish a detailed plan for the completion of Transforming Care.
The link to the EDM can be found here:[LINK]
I hope that you will support this EDM to end one of the biggest domestic human rights abuse scandals of our time.
2. Find and email your MP here: [LINK]
3. Press send